Subject: Re: LW 4.X or 5.0?- Nurbs
From: [email-masked] (Gonzalo Garramuno)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 12:03:46 -0800

"<> >>Nurbs are a buzz word..
"<> 

Like I've already mentioned here before, NURBS do offer a number of
advantages for 3D animation programs like Lightwave.  Although, in the
current state of LW, I do agree that adding them to Modeler would be
pretty useless.  Creating a NURBS program means doing a LOT of changes
(basically, LW still does not really have no type of splines yet,
since no objects can be built with them, only outlines -no rendering
either).
Anyway, when fully implemented (and, as far as I know, not Alias nor
Softimage have actually Fully implemented nurbs), NURBS offer:

1) Easier and complex modelling.  Adding NURBS allows Trimming to also be
   added easily.  This allows for creation of SEAMLESS character limbs,
   easily.  Also, some VERY complex designs are easily simplified.

2) Improved UV Mapping.  User-controlled UV mapping, by setting weights
   on each point (so that so section stretches more than another).

3) Improved Path Animation.  Path Animation is improved by the same reason
as above.  Basically, you can control the length of each segment of a
curve (thus, in a sense, having velocity and shape controls all into one).

Gonzalo Garramuno
[email-masked]
Buenos Aires, Argentina

.. Without Time Everything Would Happen At Once!
___ Offline Orbit v0.80a (Unregistered Evaluation Copy)